Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Roller Skating at the HUB

This is a video I threw together for an event at Alumni Hall - SPA sponsored roller skating - along the lines of my minigolf video.  The lighting, believe it or not, was even worse than the blacklight for my minigolf video, but my the time I got to Terrance Dowell I had improvised a light with my iPhone and a scrap of notebook paper.  

This meant that I was holding a camera in one hand while I held a microphone in my other hand while I positioned the paper and light with my other hand.  I need to figure out some tripod/lighting options here.



Roller Skating in Alumni Hall from The Daily Collegian on Vimeo.


Anywho, this video brought up a question of music rights - if I'm trying to do a video like this, where a DJ is an inescapable presence, what's the protocol for having all that popular, obviously copyrighted music in the background?  

Toward the end of my ballerina video, I used some Tchaikovsky music to tie everything together, but Tchaikovsky's long-dead and his music (though not perhaps that specific recording) is out of copyright.  I at least record my music at the event, shouts and noise and all, instead of using the original files, so the audio is representative of the scene.  

I'm just not sure what the line is for fair use and how to avoid using copyrighted music when it's inescapably embedded in the scene.  Cutting an interview is usually a disaster with this because each phrase has a different beat behind it, so I try to run another track underneath everything to at least maintain a consistent cacophony.

So, if you're a media law expert... what's the deal here? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share