Friday, February 1, 2013

Sugarplum Fairy with a Bum Knee

Marina is a junior in high school who dances at a community theater, and she was preparing to appear as the Sugar Plum Fairy in the Nutcracker when I made this video. Marina planned to go to Point Park University, a performing arts school, until she snapped her IT band during her high school musical, an injury that seriously hindered but didn't end her dancing career. She talks about what it's like when your passion causes you pain, and the razor focus you need to dance well onstage.


Sugar Plum Fairy with a Bum Knee from Kelly Tunney on Vimeo.

I did this video for my Comm 481 final project last semester (December 2012). I learned a lot about shooting dynamic video here - mainly how tough it is to shoot wide-open on a homemade steadicam that's a monopod with a brick duct-taped to it.  Later in the lab, I stared at it for about six hours straight when it was 97% done, unable to tweak the final sequence, until Erin Ryan, a film major/lab tech, helped me out with matching action.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share